Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Children of Uganda


The Little Angels Orphanage
I was given the opportunity to visit the Little Angels orphanage at Lake Binyonyi in Uganda.  The children were so sweet and very well behaved.  They had a lesson and I was asked to teach them something.  I tried to teach them about insects, but my lesson tanked.  The New Zealanders with me taught them hello and good bye in Maori, which went much better.  Afterwards the children sang songs for us and some of the girls braided my hair.  Their fingers were so fast!  We were also able to play with them and I got to do the hokey pokey for about 50 kids.  They already knew it, so it wasn't too difficult.  Then it was lunch time and each child was given a small cup of porridge.  It didn't look like nearly enough food for growing children.

There is a program that allows you to sponser a child for $50/month.  This provides food, clothes, teachers. All the children that have sponsers are wearing blue and white striped uniforms.

We took a boat back to camp rather than hike.

Kisoro
At the hostel in Kisoro Uganda we were given a real treat.  A group of children performed traditional songs and dances for us.  We watched a welcome dance, a wedding dance and a farewell dance.  They were amazing! The teenage girls had bells on their bare feet which they were pounding into the rocks without any apparent discomfort.  The marriage dance was my favorite, it involved intense jumping with shoulder shaking, and head bobbing.  We got to join in, and it was so tiring!  I have a lot of respect for the dancers.

No comments:

Post a Comment