Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Jinja Uganda - The Nile source


Some of the hostels/campsites I stay in are gorgeous.  My favorite so far is Adrift in Jinja Uganda.  There is bungee jumping available (no way!) and whitewater rafting (too expensive). The bar is on the side of a cliff that overlooks the Nile, the longest river in the world.  You can see cormorants diving and monitor lizards swimming in the waters.  For $15, we took a guided boat tour and saw tons of beautiful birds, several species of kingfishers and herons, along with giant fishing eagles and ibis with their hooked beaks.  There were also three spotted necked otters!  Monkeys are all over the campsite, black-faced vervets.  They eat from the garbage cans and tried to steal my banana from right next to me!  The males have blue testicles, haha.

For $2, Alene and I took a motorbike into town to do some shopping and to just look around.  There are stores that make your clothes for you and several supermarkets.  It is definitely a bustling city center.  Small children would yell, "Mzungu" when they saw us.  (white person) We finished off the experience with a delicious vanilla milkshake from a local restaurant.

The beer of choice here is Nile Special.  The bar also has a kayak that is flipped upside down on the rafters.  You're supposed to climb into it to take a shot.  I saw some people try and fail miserably.  I chose not to attempt it. I was sure any alcohol would go straight up my nose or dribble uselessly to the floor below.

No comments:

Post a Comment