Monday, February 4, 2013

Ko Phi Phi - climbing


When I finally reached Ko Phi Phi after 2 ferry rides, a bus ride and an overnight stop in Krabi, I felt like Goldilocks. It was just right. I loved it immediately. It was beautiful, with bright blue clear water and longboats all through the harbor. I walked through tons of fun shops until I found the Rock, a hostel high up on the hill. It wasn't the best accomodation, but I'll get to that later. I immediately hit the beach, which had beautiful white sand. The tide was down, exposing a lot of rock, but I didn't care. I finally had a beach in short walking distance. It was a perfect beach town in my eyes. I also loved that I could walk everywhere. No more motorbikes!


Because of my leg wounds, I decided to not swim for a few days. Rock climbing seemed like a good alternative. I went with Spider Monkey, which is a great company with cool guys on staff and reasonable prices. Half a day of climbing cost me $40. The limestone cliffs were stunning with lots of fun hand holds. I tired quickly though. It had been a long time since I was a regular climber.




The other climber was a girl named Kathryn from California. She was really fun. Our guide for the morning was Jillian. He was from Holland and had been a mechanical engineer until he quit his job to travel. He got certified to climb and works as a climbing instructor on the side. Not a bad gig.

The view from the top was spectacular. What a reward.




That evening I found a yoga class. Sadly, this one wasn't on the beach, but it was in one of the fancy fitness centers in a beautiful resort. A perk of attending this class? Full access to the steam room, sauna and shower with hot water. My hostel had only cold water. I felt so luxurious.

Afterward I was walking through town and bumped into Kathryn. She had her own fiasco with a motorbike that afternoon. Hope my clutziness isn't contagious. We went and got cheap massages by the beach. Since we were so close to the clubs there was pumping rave music the whole time. It was surprisingly soothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment