Monday, February 4, 2013

Ko Samui


It took 16 hours on an overnight bus trip, followed by a ferry to reach Ko Samui. I will tell you, I was disappointed. I went to Chaweng beach and I found it overpriced (noodles were 130 baht!) and crowded with resorts. They were so clustered along the beach that it took me a long time to figure out how to get off the beach once I walked down it a ways. The tourists also weren't backpacker types. Maybe I was in the wrong place, I certainly didn't research anything before I showed up. However the beach was gorgeous, if a little rainy when I was there, with warm refreshing water and gigantic waves.



On principle I refused to pay more than 80 baht for rice or noodles, so I ended up eating at 7-eleven for almost every meal. We have 7-elevens in the states, they are nice little gas stations stores. In Thailand, they are staples for backpackers that need cheap food and beer. They will toast sandwiches and heat up frozen meals for you. I was a big fan of their spicey cup of noodles for 15 baht (50 cents). I chose flavors based on pictures since everything is written in thai.



I made the best of the beach, did some kayaking, found a gigantic horsefly.  But I got out of Ko Samui as fast as possible. Hopefully Ko Pha-Ngan will be more of what I was looking for.



No comments:

Post a Comment