Monday, February 4, 2013

Ko Phi Phi - snorkeling


The second day I was on Ko Phi Phi I decided it was time to brave the water with my open wounds. Surely the salt would be good for it, right? I booked an all day island hopping tour on a longboat and covered my cuts with water proof bandages. A little sunscreen and I was ready to go.



The first stop was feeding some monkeys. Monkeys kind of freak me out. I always worry that they will bite me and I don't have rabies shots. However, these little guys seemed safe enough. It was funny when they would tug on peoples' clothes to get the food from them.




The snorkeling was beautiful, with lovely coral and colorful fish everywhere.  On the bottom in some areas you could see broken coral. This is from the tsunami that hit in 2004 which devastated the islands.



Broken coral



Some areas there are overhanging cliffs that people were climbing. I didn't get a chance to deep water solo, but it looked like tons of fun.



One of the coolest parts of the day was visiting Maya Beach. This is where The Beach with Leonardo DiCaprio was filmed. It is a beautiful place, even with all the tourists.





At the end of the day we watched the sun set over the ocean. On the way back the longboat was going full speed, then we heard a plunk and we suddenly stopped. The propeller had fallen off. We waited for about 15 minutes for another boat to tow us back to shore. I love that the boat was that sound and sea worthy.



No comments:

Post a Comment