Saturday, December 1, 2012

Skydiving, Swakopmund, Namibia

Today I fell in love. Not with a boy, no no, with skydiving.  I made the decision to jump about 2 weeks ago. Our driver, Tim, is obsessed and convinced me. Honestly, it wasn't too hard. After watching Jordan and Kirsty bungee off the Vic Falls bridge, I wanted to do my own big adrenaline activity.

I was surprised I was so calm through the whole experience. I was never really scared at all, just excited. That's big for me. As most of my friends I've had for a while know, nerves usually makes me stop eating. I had no trouble eating some instant noodles for lunch today, only hours before the jump.

My skydiving master was named Chris and he was a blast. He pointed out the salt pans and the dunes as we flew over them. At 10,000 feet I scooted my feet over the edge of the open side of the plane and jumped. My scream was not one of terror, but rather exhilaration. Wow. After about 30 seconds of free fall we were gliding over the desert of Namibia, ocean in the background. I was shaking from the adrenaline.

Today I flew like a bird, and it will not be my last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment